The Nash Equilibrium (1950) has long been considered the optimum game plan for solving and winning a competition. There is nothing peaceful, balanced or equal about it. Applied, it emboldens those with competing agendas to do whatever they need to do –lie, cheat, steal, murder and all manner of mayhem including going to war– to discover each other’s peak strategy. It’s a license to steal another’s Intellectual Property Rights and trade secrets, and to then turn their strength into a weakness that can be revealed, twisted or otherwise used against them. Its obstinate impact on the fundamentals of economics and the social sciences has made the pursuit of fame the game, money its measure and its gain without shame.
It’s the cause behind a fiefdom mentality, making manipulation with morality a viable option. For all intents and purposes it insures that those with the grandest Egos take and occupy a throne to rule, issuing writs and dictums that the lower classes and castes must obey. The imprint of the Nash Equilibrium on the social fabric, business, education, and yes, religion, cannot be understated.
Interpersonal conflicts are the common cause behind most of the failures of visions both simple and grand.
- Have you ever gotten involved in a group whose purpose was meaningful only to find out that it was run by personalities rather than competence?
- Have you ever found yourself in a situation or job where a personality mismatch led to chaos or anarchy?
- Did you stay even though you were miserable simply because you needed the job?
Sooner or later, the attitude of ‘going along to get along’ leads to demoralising blowouts, burnouts or crippling breakdowns.
Dare to imagine the possibilities if a group of individuals decide to abandon such externalized competition.
- What might be realised if a group of unique individuals with wildly different perspectives and abilities come together because they share a common goal?
- What potential might be realised when an alliance of demonstrated competences agree to meet and articulate a shared vision based on unifying values and principles prior to taking any externalised action?
- What are the consequences of open-hearted and open-minded people working together?
- What if they make a conscious decision to work together and generate positive products and services, realising that the only competition is an internal relay race with Time?
The prospective benefits of an individual or an organisation that is able to self-organise and harmonise their efforts are immeasurable. Their efforts will redefine sustainability and ‘winning’.
The mandate ‘to ensure survival’ is the course of correct action and teaching children to think for themselves and to innovate as the group without devolving into group thinking is a noble objective that must be met. The BeLonging Project reaches for such a goal using precisely this strategy. As teachers facilitate learning, and students discover their unique competences, macro and micro, diverse classroom experiences lead to it becoming a community operating on competent cooperation. By supporting the spirit of the individual, efficiency and integrity unite all participants, optimising human energy, materials, and time.
By comparison the Nash Equilibrium pales and fails.
While not everyone is a visionary, the human spirit fails to thrive without a vision.
What is your vision for the rest of your life?